Len Holgate comes up with the greatest line of the assertion debate so far: "exploding comments".
I think I've said just about everything I want to say about assertions. As an Elvis with definite Mort tendencies, there's only so far that I want to go down most rabbit holes. Here's the complete list of entries in this debate of which I'm aware - sorted historically.
- Len - Assert is evil.
- Mark - Ferrari versus Land Rover.
- Barry - Assert is evil?
- Mark - How do you use assertions?
- Barry - Assertions are still evil.
- Len - Is Raymond Chen's use of assert valid?
- Mark - Assertions and humility.
- Noel - Asserting oneself.
- Len - Asserts are evil, except...
If you're interested in the subject, you should read these entries and associated comments/links, then make up your own mind about how you want to use assertions in your own code. I'll update this list if the debate develops any further.